Thursday, April 16, 2009

Not too old!

Last night we had dinner with my brother and his family. His birthday is later this week, but this was when the celebration would be at his home. Since he likes fine wines and new experiences, I brought over a bottle of Sequoia Grove Napa Cabernet vintage 1995. I checked Wine Spectator and in their consideration this wine was edging past it's prime. With this particular bottle, I would have to disagree. It still had a load of lush red fruit, granted it had mellowed. We did not decant, but let the wine open up in the glass and I feel this was the best course to take since the wine was fairly delicate. The wine paired well with the spaghetti with meat balls that was served. All in all, this wine attests to the quality of wine making that was found at Sequoia Grove. I believe that the current wine maker was apprenticed with the wine maker James Allen. If you have chance to try older vintages of Sequoia Grove try it!

No comments: